"And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live." Deuteronomy 30:6

but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.
2 Peter 3:18

Monday, July 18, 2011

2011-2012 School Year

Our school year kicked off July 6. Josiah is in 2nd grade; Katie Jo is in 1st grade; and Eli is in Pre-K. Joy Schelle is just along for the ride. :) She tends to nap during school. We have been in full swing the last week and a half.

Saturday began some allergy issues for me, so I am trying not to talk much today in hopes that I will be much better on Wed. No that isn't a typo! We aren't doing school on Tuesdays until next week because I am doing a Bible study. So, I am here typing since the kids are playing well together and it doesn't require talking. :)

I am really excited about this year! We are trying to lay our foundation for our family; not only in the basics of phonics and such but also spiritually and characterly (new word LOL). One of the main character traits we are hoping to conquer, at least in small steps, is self-control. :O Along those lines is obedience also.

When I went to my trusty white board to see how to accomplish this, God amazed me!

We started in 2 Peter1:5-7
But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to irtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

So, obviously there are a few things we have to go through in order to get to self-control. It isn't first on the list!

FAITH:
What is faith?
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the eveidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Where does it come from? God, Jesus
God has dealt to each one a measure of faith Romans 12:3
Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith Hebrews 12:2

What is part in instilling faith in my children? How?
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 10:17 
Immerse them in Scripture!!! Hide it in their hearts.

VIRTUE:
What does it mean?
conduct that agrees with what is morally right

What does God say?
I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:1-3

God has given each one faith and He then wants us to walk worthy.

How do we know how to walk worthy?
In Ephesians He tells us with lowliness, gentleness, longsuffering, bearing with one another, and trying to keep unity and peace. That is a tall order!

How do we learn how to do those things?? In comes the next word in the list...

KNOWLEDGE:
grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
2 Peter 3:18

GROW! That is our word for the year, and this is our verse for the year!!! I just stood in amazement at how God brings everything together! He called us to this before we even started the school year. He knew that we would need to lean on this verse in multiple ways this year. In order to build our foundation we have to grow.

SELF-CONTROL:
How do we grow self-control? The Holy Spirit grows it!
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Do I have a part?
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Galatians 2:20
I must crucify my ego!! It is not "I"!

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. Matthew 24:16
I have to deny myself.

Self-control is self-denial! I am yeilding to Jesus and allowing Him to reign in me. This is not an easy task! It is a long task that will last my entire life... which leads to...

PERSEVERANCE:
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, Hebrews 12:1

We are to run the race with endurance. We can look at those who went before us and finished well. This verse leads right into Hebrews 12:2 that God showed me at the very beginning of this journey in His word. Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I am to look to Jesus! I am to look at the joy that is set before me! What is the joy set before me?? Taking up my cross of discipling my children; of breaking down my walls and denying myself in order to be Jesus to others. I am praying that I will run this race with endurance so that my children may look to me as a witness that went before them that they can look to. I pray that they will live lives full of wholehearted faith and devotion in Jesus totally in love with Him! May this be true of me as well!!

This is a high calling, but the calling of motherhood is high! It is a calling of self-denial. This journey through the word that God started me on as I was seeking to teach my children ended up teaching me and showing me what I need to do. The best way to teach my children is by example. This growing will not be easy, but how beautiful the garden will look when it is Jesus flowers that are growing instead of Michelle flowers.

I don't know what all God has in store for us this school year, but I know He is going to grow us all in the grace and knowledge of Jesus!

Thank You, Abba, for the privilege of teaching my children! May You continue Your good work in me and mold me. Break down the walls around my heart. Thank You that Your burden is light and Your yoke is easy. I choose today to deny myself and take up my cross. May You help me. May You lead me. May You bless this new school year. May You plant seeds and water them and grow them as we learn more of Jesus and hide Your word in our hearts. I give this year to You. Thank You for the many blessings You are going to bring our way. May we use them to bless You. I love You! Thank You for loving me so much. Thank You for meeting me and talking to me through Your word! In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Here is my summary that I hope to put up somewhere so that I remember all year what God has taught me.

Faith --> live morally right --> by learning about Jesus --> have self-control to walk worthy --> endure the race --> looking to Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment